DIY Shea Butter Hair Mask
DIY Shea Butter Hair Mask
If you are into caring for your hair, than you understand how important it is to take care of it inorder for it to stay healthy. You are also probably aware of all the natural hair care tips that are suggested for wash day. Even with all of the steps and tips avaliable, it is a no brainer that deep conditioning with heat and using a good hair mask is essential. Incorporating a quality hair mask to your wash day routine, will result in healthy hair overtime when it is used consistently. There are several hair mask you can use when you are deep conditioning your hair. If you don’t have a store bought hair mask you can make your own. The one I recommend is the DIY Shea Butter Hair Mask. I love it because it is super moisturizing and strengthens the hair. Here is how you can make and use this wonderful hair mask.
DIY Shea Butter Hair Mask Recipe
Before I share this DIY shea butter hair mask recipe with you, I want to let you know that most of the ingredients used can be found in your health food store. If at all possible, always go for ingredients that are 100% organic. The results and benefits will be much greater because there are no artificial ingredients to alter how well the product will work. Ok so, here we go. To create this recipe you will need:
– 1 teaspoon of organic coconut oil
– 1 tablespoon of organic whipped shea butter
-1 teaspoon of organic honey
– 1 tablespoon of organic olive oil
*Using shea butter that has already been whipped, will make it easier for you to stir all of the products together, as it will already be smooth*
Now that you have all of your ingredients, they need to be combined to create your hair mask.
-Using a plastic container or bowl, add the shea butter. To warm and SLIGHTLY melt the shea, place the container/bowl into a pot that is filled with hot water. Let the shea butter soften (DON’T melt! if you are using our whipped shea butter blend, you won’t need to let it sit too long in the water because it is already soft and whipped). Once your shea has softened add all other ingredients, stir together and voila! You have a shea butter mask.
How Should You Use It
1) Starting with dry hair, section your hair in 4’s so that you can apply the mask, and really get in there to treat every hair strand.
2) Apply the mask starting from the ends of your hair first and work your way up to the roots. You want to start at the ends first because these are the oldest and driest part of the hair and need the most attention. You can also apply it to your scalp especially if you suffer from dandruff for an extra boost in moisture.
3) After you have applied the mask to your entire head, cover your hair with a plastic shower cap. Sit under a heated hood dryer for 30 minutes.
4) Wash your hair with a moisturizing, non-drying, sulfate free shampoo and continue with your routine. You’ll see a difference in your hair immediately and have luxurious, soft, shiny looking hair.
What Hair Types Is It Good For
This DIY shea butter hair mask is great for natural hair because it provides intense moisture to dry hair. Natural hair can be very dry at times so this mask is a great option. Even though the mask can be used on all hair types, it works best for those who have 3a-4c type hair. The mask is very thick and can leave your hair limp if it is naturally thinner than those hair types mentioned earlier. However, you shouldn’t let that stop you. Just be a little less generous as you are adding the product to avoid limp, lifeless hair.